Aziz Emmanuel Gewargis – Lecturer
With almost 30 years of experience in teaching and following the student-centered approach, I have managed to effectively communicate with students coming from different backgrounds and cultures motivating and helping them be active rather than passive learners. My ultimate goal has and still is to help my students express themselves effectively in both writing and speaking.
Education and Certificates
SALAHADDIN UNIVERSITY, Mosul, Iraq
- D. Student – College of Languages, Department of English.
Dissertation: The Documentation of the North Eastern Neo-Aramaic Spoke
Language of Aqra.
MOSUL UNIVERSITY, Mosul, Iraq
- A. Linguistics (1990) – College of Arts, Department of English Language.
Thesis: Textual Cohesion in English/Arabic & Arabic/English Translation, A Contrastive Analysis.
- A. English Language and Literature (1975) – College of Arts, Department of English Language.
Relevant Work Experience
October 2016 – Present Lecturer
Catholic University in Erbil
September 2009 – July 2016 Lecturer
Salahaddin University, Department of English – College of Education
1999 – 2001 Lecturer of English Language & Literature
Duhok University, Department of English – College of Arts
1998 Lecturer of English Language and Translation
Naser University in Misurata, Libya, Department of English – College of Arts
1978 – 1994 Assistant Instructor
Erbil & Mosul Technical Institutes
1977-1978 Librarian/Periodicals Department
Mosul University Central Library
- Advanced Conversation
- Academic Writing
- A large body of translated work from English published to my credit in the local journals and magazines covering science, literature, history, archaeology and culture.
- Scores of stories, press releases and features published in international highlights in English and Arabic during my association with Reuters.
- J. Corg, Language in Modern Literature, a co-translation into Arabic (1985).
- Dictionary of Ancient Greek Civilization, a translation into Arabic (Dar Al-Mashreq, Duhok, 2013).
- Henrik Ibsen, Ghosts, a translation into Arabic (2007).
- Decoding da Finci (Forthcoming)
- C. Baumer, The Church of the East, a translation into Arabic (2012)
- The Christian Villages and Towns in Northern Iraq, Ishtar TV, (Translation into English (2014)
- A Practical Guide to College and University Management, a translation into Arabic (forthcoming).
- Textual Cohesion in English/Kurdish Translation: A Contrastive Analysis (Journal of the Kurdish Academy Vol. 23, 2012).
- Criteria for Evaluating Students’ Essay Writing at the tertiary level in the College of Education, Salahaddin University, Proceedings of the 6th International Visible Conference on Educational Studies & Applied Linguistics, April 26-27- 2015 Ishik University, Erbil, KR, Iraq.
- Participant in the UN conference held in Baghdad on the rights of the ethnic communities in Iraq (2012).
- Participation and Session Chair and presentation, 5th International Visible Conference on Educational Studies & Applied Linguistics, April 26, 27- 2014, Ishik University, Erbil, KR, Iraq.
- Participation and Session Chair, and presentation, 6th International Visible Conference on Educational Studies & Applied Linguistics, April 26-27- 2015, Ishik University, Erbil, KR, Iraq.
- Session chair , 7th International Visible Conference on Educational Studies & Applied Linguistics, Ishik University, Erbil, KR, Iraq.