1.The Board of Trustees
It is the highest authority at Catholic University in Erbil. Its fundamental mission is to formulate the general policy of the university, supervise it, and determine the method of administration, without imposing duties or responsibilities of the supervisory.
The duration of membership in this committee is four years. The capacity members of this committee are between 7 to 11 members and at least one-third of them hold a doctorate, whether they hold Iraqi citizenship or any other nationality.
The chairmanship and vice-chairmanship of the Board of Trustee are chosen by the election among the members, and by two-thirds of the votes of the members of the committee.
Tasks and responsibilities
It is the highest authority in the university. Its basic task is to lay down and overseer the general policy of the university, define the manner it is administered without otherwise imposing on it executive duties and responsibilities. The membership term in the board is four years. The board comprises at least seven members but should not exceed elven of whom at least one-third with Ph.D. degrees and may include Iraqi or international citizens. The board has a president and a vice president who are elected from among the members of the board via one-third of the votes made.
The board of trustees is assigned to the following tasks:
- It takes the required scientific steps to implement the vision and mission of the university.
- Outlines the general policy of the university in light of the requirements set by the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Appointing the Chancellor and his assistants, faculty deans, heads of academic departments, carrying out an annual evaluation of their performance.
- It approves the extension of the chancellor’s term of office or nominates his/her substitute or release from office upon failure to meet the conditions set in Para Three/One of this by-law.
- It approves any important changes in the academic programme or in the general guidelines of any of the basic institutions of the university that are consistent with the mission and values of the university.
- Auditing and ratification of the recommendations and decisions of the university council.
- Representing the university all over the world and providing assistance in developing communication and going ahead with realizing the mission of the university.
- Laying out the policies that ensure academic quality in a way that helps develop the capacities of students and faculty staff.
- Monitoring the work of the university to ensure the realization of the goals for which the university was established.
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of the board through conducting an annual assessment of its activity and highlighting the negative points and work to avoid them through constructive dialogue.
- Contribution in fundraising for the university, acceptance of gifts, donations, grants, and subsidies following approval of the Ministry of Higher Education if the fundraising, gits and donations are made locally and the approval of the Council of Ministers if they are made from abroad.
- Ratification of the annual budget, final accounts, miscellaneous sources of income, and managing the university funds, the investment and disposal of the funds in line with the university goals.
- Approval of the annual budget, including tuition fees and miscellaneous income sources, and managing the university funds, fund investment and disposal, in line with goals of the university.
- Determining payroll for all employees at the university, including the faculty staff.
- Proposing tuition fees and submitting them to the ministry concerned for ratification.
- Discussion of plans for the provision and approval of the study requirements.
- Reviewing the annual plan submitted by the chancellor for development projects.
- The members of the Board of Trustee may undertake the chairmanship of the committees or work teams.
2.The University President
The university president is the university’s chief executive who reports to the board of trustees. The main task of the president is to implement the policies of the Board of Trustees and guarantee the efficient use of University resources in light of the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the University.
The duties and responsibilities of the university president:
- In his capacity as the representative of the trustees of the university, the university president implements the mission, strategic objectives, and university policies of the university which are approved by the board of trustees in a consistent and efficient manner.
- The university president is responsible for the laying down and development of an efficient communication system particularly oversteering the work of the university community in line with the vision, mission and strategic objectives of the university and their detailed understanding and implementation.
- The university president shall inform the university community of the priorities of the board of trustees, and vice versa, i.e. informing the board of trustees about the subjects related to the university community and their needs and aspirations.
- The university president provides leadership at the university and fosters the culture of excellence in all the departments and sections of the university.
- The chancellor maintains the façade of the university for the community at large and helps create a good and constructive media and communication system for the university.
- The President of the University shall maintain good relations with governmental institutions at the federal and regional levels, as well as organizations and universities, and the marketing of the mission and objectives of the University.
- The university president is responsible for the efficient administration of the university, particularly with regard to the financial issues. He/she ensures the efficient use of the administration of the human and financial resources at a high standard of competency in accordance with the mission and goals of the university.
- The university president is responsible for ensuring and maintenance of the university property the setting up of parameters to protect the university from financial and legal risks as well the reputation of the university.
Within the filed of public relations, the CUE aims at:
- Communication with donor international institutions and organizations to muster up their support of the development projects of the university.
- Preparation of the local and international drafts of agreements and memoranda of understanding with high ranking universities for student and teaching staff exchange programmes.
- Work to obtain scholarships Masters and Ph.D. degrees for the candidates of the university within the ongoing university teaching staff.
- Communication with international institutions, organizations, and universities to arrange for exchange visits for the university authorities with them.
- Contribution in realizing the vision and mission of the university and help move it up to the standard of high-ranking universities via the agreements, and executive programmes reached with those institutions and the scientific, research and cultural centres, and institutes in harmony with the general policy trends of the university.
- Set a good example in the negotiations made by the CUE with the various institutions and universities through the suggestion and preparation of protocol and agreement projects in the areas of cooperation and coordination as per the needs of the university.
- On-going marketing of the university and continued care to issue the various university guides and publications to various international institutions and universities.
4. Administrative & Financial Affairs
The department manages the following activities:
- Ensuring the implementation of strategies and policies in light of the vision, mission and strategic objectives of the University.
- Submitting reports to the Chancellor on work progress in the department and its related divisions, including the objectives that have been realized and those which have not realized highlighting the obstacles and means of overcoming them.
- Assessment of proposals for the development of work in the section.
- Providing plans for training department staff.
- Keeping record of voucher bills, delineate Dealing with payment vouchers, identifying due checks, organization and classification of payment vouchers in light of the accounting system.
- Organizing receipt vouchers and maintaining them in the funds books.
- Depositing the amounts received through organizing a deposit chip card within the account of the university at the agent bank.
- Maintaining payroll records for employees and teachers, preparing monthly payrolls and transferring them to an electronic account.
- Preparing different deduction statements related to other departments employees.
- Keeping record of the general expenses and a journal after dealing with balance transfers.
- Preparation of monthly balance (payments and income statement, bank statement, payment voucher)
- Preparing the final accounts at the end of each fiscal year.
- Conducting various financial analyzes for the purpose of conformity and data extraction, especially liquidity analysis
Legal affairs are a vital activity at the University through the following tasks.
- Providing legal advice to all the departments of the Catholic University
- Organizing financial commitments and study warranties bot at home and abroad.
- Certification of guarantees, obligations and contracts through a government notary public in the region.
- Calling the region government departments to complete the work of the university from a legal point of view.
- Follow-up of the properties of the Catholic University and the establishment of lawsuits for the preservation and acquisition of land for the implementation of university projects.
- Defending the Catholic University before the courts and the competent authorities to initiate lawsuits and complaints in their favor and vice versa.
- Forming investigation committees.
Administrative and logistic services
This activity includes the provision of public services such as support services, logistics and development services for public facilities for all sectors of the university and at all academic and administrative levels to reach a high degree of quality and efficiency with an aim to maintain and develop campus facilities by providing a safe and healthy environment appropriate for all students and faculty and administrative staff and all the staff in the university.
The main tasks are:
- Setting up of a mechanism to upgrade the services required for the university and finding means of managing it.
- Establishment an efficient mechanism for the delivery of various services (cleaning of facilities, yards, gardens and other general services).
- Development of a mechanism on how to educate employees on the importance of their work to the success of the university, how to stimulate their energies and develop their abilities in all the specific services of the department and how to enable them to perform their tasks efficiently.
- Maintaining the University’s assets and its public and private properties.
- Provision of a decent and appropriate hygienic profile for the university.
- Processing, preparation and arrangement of public events, conferences, workshops and seminars.
- Carrying out daily work related to the preparation of classrooms.
- Planting trees of all kinds in the yards and gardens of the university
- Attending to trees and green areas at the university campus in terms of irrigation, plowing, fertilization, crafting … etc.
- Provision of transportation services for academic staff and during their participation in external activities.
- Handling and distribution of the incoming mail.
- Follow-up of the movement of the various university vehicles in terms of maintenance, insurance, and licensing.
5. Strategic Planning & Quality Management
The section oversees the following activities:
- Securing the implementation of strategies and policies in light of the vision, mission, and goals of the university.
- Submitting periodical reports to the chancellor of the university on the flow of work at the directorate and the sections annexed to it containing the objectives that have been realized and those that have not, the reasons and obstacles experienced during work and recommendations to avoid such hindrances.
- Evaluation of the suggestions for work development in the section.
- Submission of a plan for training the working staff in the section.
Following are the tasks required by the section:
The strategic planning and quality management section undertakes the task of preparing, implementing, and reviewing the strategic plan of the university and its outcomes and ensures compliance to the general requirements and the needs of the local society in particular. The section is required to share other sections at the university in determining visions and orientations that would help the CUE realize its vision, mission, and strategic objectives.
The section also works to lay down a mechanism by which to link the strategic plan with a quality and performance evaluation through defining and comparing work performance with the targeted quantitative objectives of the plan as well as defining and evaluating the risks that may hinder a competent implementation of the objectives of the plan.
The strategic plan of the university should also include strategic and formal plans of all the colleges and departments at the university.
- Laying down of a quality management system for undertaking the task of supervising the implementation of plans and the laying down of other plans for the development of the whole university departments and sections.
- Work with the finance section to prepare the annual budget and link it with the objectives and initiatives of the strategic plan of the university.
- Laying down of plans for risk management and the extent to which the external environment can impact the implementation of the university plan taking into consideration the factors that may hinder the implementation of the objectives of the plan.
These include the following activities:
This section is the only point of contact for all inquiries and demands of the staff at the university. Besides, it offers to advise to help the staff through:
- Responding to the oral, telephone, or email inquiries of the staff.
- Providing guidance to staff on how to solve their problems.
- Following up with the staff to ensure the solution to their problems.
- Responding to staff demands electronically.
- Helping visitors of the campus is looking for job opportunities.
Traning and development
The training and development section is responsible for the implementation of the performance, policies, and programs that support the vision and strategy of the university. This activity includes coordination of the vocational training and development activities that support the knowledge, skills, and potentials of the university staff to enable it to realize its strategic objectives and oversee the performance management at the university.
Labour force planning
This section is responsible for determining all levels of the future labor force requirements of the university. It one of the basic tasks of the section. Its importance lies in the stability and development of the university through the following four elements: employment, retention, re-training, and redistribution of skills that are linked with the orientation of the university.
Human resouoces affairs
This section is responsible for building and developing of relations with the various managerial sections and colleges of the university in addition to providing support for the human resources and the provision of advice and information on the following:
- Testing and employment of candidates to work in the university.
- Staff relations.
- Renewal of contracts, service termination, and payment of end-of-service allowances.
- Implementation and follow up of the university’s accommodation policy.
- Use of information systems in managing the human resources through the provision of technical skill in managing human resources programs and the use of an efficient system that comprises all the solutions related to students, human resources, payrolls, and financial data that are compatible with the requirements of the university.
7. Technical Affairs
This section is responsible for:
- Ensuring the implementation of strategies and policies in light of the vision, mission, and the strategic goals of the university.
- Submitting periodical reports to the chancellor on the flow of work in the directorate and the sections belonging to it that contains the realized objectives and those that are not yet realized, reasons behind failure to implement them, as well as recommendations to overcome them.
- Submission of suggestions for work development in the section.
These are basic and obligatory documents for leading, planning, and implementation of the academic and educational process in the colleges and departments of the university. They comprise study plans, study subjects, study units related to a specialized study.
They are regarded as central educational documents. Following are the main tasks:
- Receiving the requests and recommendations from the college councils or the scientific committees related to the development of study plans and the subjects for teaching that are supported by necessary documents justifying their change and development. They should be submitted to the university via scientific reports.
- Formation of competent committees and faculty management to create new curricula and study plans.
- Setting up a mechanism and basis for curriculum management which is responsible for preparing the bases and regulations of curriculum development in the university.
Follow up of the work of the specialized committees or the work of the personnel assigned to the task of implementing the decisions of the chancellor that are pertinent to curricula development. Reports on these issues should be submitted to the chancellor through the director of the technical affairs.
The curricula at the CUE are developed as follows:
- Getting acquainted on the community requirements of and the market needs for professional skills.
- Evaluation of the current qualification process through an assessment of the present curriculum, study plans, and the teaching subject covered by the teacher.
- Study and comparison of the outcome of surveys on parallel curricula in the universities of Kurdistan Region.
- Setting longing range permanent bases for the teaching and educational process and the adoption of qualification goals and contents in light of graduate professional tasks and duties. (Targeted learning outcomes).
- Setting up a competent mechanism for ensuring reciprocal linkage between the objectives and the outcomes of targeted learning, content, teaching strategy, and evaluation.
- Development of the student character through programmed planning of the curriculum content.
- Setting up a mechanism and programs that link knowledge acquisition and transformation of knowledge through highlighting the importance of research, application, and through conducting seminars and workshops and the preparation of practical training.
Exams and the awarding of degrees
The main tasks carried out in this activity are:
- Maintaining student exam book.
- Managing exam-question sheets.
- Announcing exam results.
- Specifying the duties of the invigilators in exam halls.
Student admission and registration
Due to its direct contact with students, student admission and registration is an important managerial unit of the university. It provides students with important services and guidance starting with their registration at the university to their graduation. The main tasks of this section are:
- Organizing the process of student admission and registration in accordance with the rules and regulations of the university.
- Providing students with a special folder to keep all his academic transcripts and personal documents.
- Opening of a special file for each student within a special program for admission and registration purposes.
- Re-scheduling of the teaching subjects for each semester.
- Organizing the process of registering the study subjects and the amendments made therein.
- Solving all the difficulties that students face during the registration process along with any accompanying clashes.
- Preparing statistics and information related to students and their study results.
- Checking the study plans of all the students who are expected to graduate at the end of each semester along with their files, end-of-term and cumulative marks.
- Issuing Graduation certificates and other documents.
- Preparing the university awards and organizing the graduation ceremony.
- Following up with students after graduation
- Checking the teaching load of teachers.
- Issuance of the annual academic calendar of the university