1.The Board of Trustees
It is the highest authority at Catholic University in Erbil. Its fundamental mission is to formulate the general policy of the university, supervise it, and determine the method of administration, without imposing duties or responsibilities of the supervisory.
The duration of membership in this committee is four years. The capacity members of this committee are between 7 to 11 members and at least one-third of them hold a doctorate, whether they hold Iraqi citizenship or any other nationality.
The chairmanship and vice-chairmanship of the Board of Trustee are chosen by the election among the members, and by two-thirds of the votes of the members of the committee.
Tasks and responsibilities
It is the highest authority in the university. Its basic task is to lay down and overseer the general policy of the university, define the manner it is administered without otherwise imposing on it executive duties and responsibilities. The membership term in the board is four years. The board comprises at least seven members but should not exceed elven of whom at least one-third with Ph.D. degrees and may include Iraqi or international citizens. The board has a president and a vice president who are elected from among the members of the board via one-third of the votes made.
The board of trustees is assigned to the following tasks:
- It takes the required scientific steps to implement the vision and mission of the university.
- Outlines the general policy of the university in light of the requirements set by the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Appointing the Chancellor and his assistants, faculty deans, heads of academic departments, carrying out an annual evaluation of their performance.
- It approves the extension of the chancellor’s term of office or nominates his/her substitute or release from office upon failure to meet the conditions set in Para Three/One of this by-law.
- It approves any important changes in the academic programme or in the general guidelines of any of the basic institutions of the university that are consistent with the mission and values of the university.
- Auditing and ratification of the recommendations and decisions of the university council.
- Representing the university all over the world and providing assistance in developing communication and going ahead with realizing the mission of the university.
- Laying out the policies that ensure academic quality in a way that helps develop the capacities of students and faculty staff.
- Monitoring the work of the university to ensure the realization of the goals for which the university was established.
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of the board through conducting an annual assessment of its activity and highlighting the negative points and work to avoid them through constructive dialogue.
- Contribution in fundraising for the university, acceptance of gifts, donations, grants, and subsidies following approval of the Ministry of Higher Education if the fundraising, gits and donations are made locally and the approval of the Council of Ministers if they are made from abroad.
- Ratification of the annual budget, final accounts, miscellaneous sources of income, and managing the university funds, the investment and disposal of the funds in line with the university goals.
- Approval of the annual budget, including tuition fees and miscellaneous income sources, and managing the university funds, fund investment and disposal, in line with goals of the university.
- Determining payroll for all employees at the university, including the faculty staff.
- Proposing tuition fees and submitting them to the ministry concerned for ratification.
- Discussion of plans for the provision and approval of the study requirements.
- Reviewing the annual plan submitted by the chancellor for development projects.
- The members of the Board of Trustee may undertake the chairmanship of the committees or work teams.
2.The University President
The university president is the university’s chief executive who reports to the board of trustees. The main task of the president is to implement the policies of the Board of Trustees and guarantee the efficient use of University resources in light of the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the University.
The duties and responsibilities of the university president:
- In his capacity as the representative of the trustees of the university, the university president implements the mission, strategic objectives, and university policies of the university which are approved by the board of trustees in a consistent and efficient manner.
- The university president is responsible for the laying down and development of an efficient communication system particularly oversteering the work of the university community in line with the vision, mission and strategic objectives of the university and their detailed understanding and implementation.
- The university president shall inform the university community of the priorities of the board of trustees, and vice versa, i.e. informing the board of trustees about the subjects related to the university community and their needs and aspirations.
- The university president provides leadership at the university and fosters the culture of excellence in all the departments and sections of the university.
- The chancellor maintains the façade of the university for the community at large and helps create a good and constructive media and communication system for the university.
- The President of the University shall maintain good relations with governmental institutions at the federal and regional levels, as well as organizations and universities, and the marketing of the mission and objectives of the University.
- The university president is responsible for the efficient administration of the university, particularly with regard to the financial issues. He/she ensures the efficient use of the administration of the human and financial resources at a high standard of competency in accordance with the mission and goals of the university.
- The university president is responsible for ensuring and maintenance of the university property the setting up of parameters to protect the university from financial and legal risks as well the reputation of the university.
Within the filed of public relations, the CUE aims at:
- Communication with donor international institutions and organizations to muster up their support of the development projects of the university.
- Preparation of the local and international drafts of agreements and memoranda of understanding with high ranking universities for student and teaching staff exchange programmes.
- Work to obtain scholarships Masters and Ph.D. degrees for the candidates of the university within the ongoing university teaching staff.
- Communication with international institutions, organizations, and universities to arrange for exchange visits for the university authorities with them.
- Contribution in realizing the vision and mission of the university and help move it up to the standard of high-ranking universities via the agreements, and executive programmes reached with those institutions and the scientific, research and cultural centres, and institutes in harmony with the general policy trends of the university.
- Set a good example in the negotiations made by the CUE with the various institutions and universities through the suggestion and preparation of protocol and agreement projects in the areas of cooperation and coordination as per the needs of the university.
- On-going marketing of the university and continued care to issue the various university guides and publications to various international institutions and universities.